Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Loved it. I loved the movie and decided to read the book after (usually I like to do it the other way around). I was especially touched, when reading it, that as bad as things may have been for African Americans in the past, their whole life wasn't miserable (or at least once they were no longer slaves). They loved, or grew to love some of the children they worked for. When I was nannying I grew to love those kids, even though they weren't mine and in some ways it should've been just a job to me. Anyways, I liked seeing the duplicity of it all- the women, afraid because of the awful conditions brought on by severe racism, yet the things they did care about in their daily lives as well. Very entertaining, even after watching the movie. Not a true story, but the author wrote based on a maid that she once loved and cared for and what she hoped may have gone through her mind- similar to Skeeter and Constantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment