Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Heart- stoppers

This recipe I learned while spending time in the South.  That was actually the beginnings of cooking for me really, before that time I was too preoccupied with recipes that cooking wasn't fun.  Most of my recipes no longer have exact recipes because I just experiment.  Tip that I learned in the South, if they smell good together uncooked, they usually work together when cooked.  So I just add things that sound good and/or smell good.  This recipe though is relatively simple.

Things you need:
Rolls (I guess you could make your own, but I just buy store bought ones, normal dinner rolls or Hawaiian sweet rolls are the favorite of my family.  I think the best are Pistolettes, but I haven't seen them in a store since being back from the South.  The only requirement for the rolls is they have to have a softer outer covering, not hard like a sourdough crust.)
And Butter!
And then a cookie sheet or cake pan, anything as long as it has a lip on it, a cookie sheet with no lip will NOT work.

Directions:  Melt butter (approximately one stick of butter for every 12 rolls you want to make)
Arrange the rolls in the pan and pour the butter over the tops.  I usually use a big spoon and spoon it over and do approximately 2 spoonfuls of butter per roll.
Stick them in the oven.  Do NOT broil.  I have never used a set temperature. 200 works, but I usually use these rolls as a side and if I've been cooking meat in the oven I often just keep it at that temperature.  You are basically putting the rolls in the oven to warm them up and allow the butter to crystallize on the top and soak into the rolls.
About half-way through (I know that may kill some people who like exact times but I've never timed it, but if you need a time, anywhere from 2-5 minutes into cooking them) pull them out and tilt the pan, use a spoon to spoon the melted butter that comes to the bottom and re-spoon it over the top of the rolls.

*If you want to get creative you can sprinkle Parmesan Cheese over the rolls before putting them in the oven, or a garlic powder of some sort, or Tony Chachere's (a Cajun seasoning that I LOVE to use).

Overall, if they don't taste good, chances are, you didn't put enough butter on them.

Side story:  My Mom used to make these amazing 'orange rolls' for Thanksgiving every year.  One year she was too tired and mine are much simpler and easier to make.  So we made mine.  A lot of family members will sneak into the kitchen and start eating various items before dinner officially starts, my Uncle happened to come in that year and picked up one of my rolls while I was watching.  He then picked up a knife and went to get some butter.  I opened my mouth and said, "Umm... that roll doesn't need more butter."  He looked at me and said, "There's no such thing as too much butter".  Then he spread the butter on his roll and walked out to enjoy his roll.  A short while later he came back in to steal another roll.  I watched him as he avoided the butter this time and I guess he felt my eyes on him.  He turned back to look at me and said simply, "You're right, it didn't need more butter."  They've become a favorite in my family, but if you're watching your carbs or fat I would advise only making them for special occasions and trying to get everyone else to eat them so you're only left with one or two to satisfy your craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment