Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grilled Ham, Pastrami and Cheese Sandwich

Alright, so I was craving a sandwich the other day.  And I really wanted grilled cheese- just plain and simple.  But I was out of bread and had no cheese.  So I had to wait.  I finally made it to the store and bought some bread and cheese and also ran across some meats that I used over this past summer.  I love ham and pastrami which generally are fattier meats for sandwiches.  But these ones, (on the old points system for Weight Watchers were 1 point, for 6 slices of ham or 7 slices of pastrami- so I would mix three of each together for one point- I don't know how many points it would be now, but I imagine it's still good).  So anyways, I'm going to write the ingredients down for a lower fat, good cheesy sandwich, and the fattier versions.

Ingredients:
1. bread (for lower fat Sara Lee has a really good 90 calories loaf of bread that works really well)
2. ham and pastrami (the lowest in points for Weight Watchers was a Deli Select made by Hillshire Farms)
3. 1-2 slices cheese (I prefer 2% normal American cheese slices, but you can do non-fat if you prefer, and 1 slice if you don't like things so cheesy or want a lower fat sandwich)
4. butter (for lower fat you can use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! or olive oil and salt if you just want the buttery taste)
5. and then Pesto sauce!  I love Classico's pesto sauce which comes in a small jar, but it's not the greatest as far as low-fat goes, so you can use an alternative if you wish or skip it.

(On the old points system for Weight Watchers, without the Pesto and all the lower fat options it was a 3 point sandwich!)

Directions:
Get out a frying pan, place the bread in the pan and then spread pesto on the back of one of the slices, and pile the meat and cheese in between each slice of bread.  Flip and cook both sides and you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment