Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cake Bites

Unfortunately I can't claim that I came up with the idea for these, but they are very good, and I'm going to share my first experience with making them.

Things you'll need:
Cake mix (and anything the box says you need... eggs, oil, water... if you want to make a cake from scratch that's up to you, but just generally you need a cake mix)
Frosting
Melt-able chocolate (Candy Coatings, I don't like the chocolate chips for these, but you could use them if you can't find anything else)

Steps:
1. Mix and bake the cake as you would normally.
2. Let the cake cool.
3. Empty the cake into a mixing bowl and break up into little tiny pieces...  Just use your hands and mash it up.
4. Let the cake cool some more.  The cooler it is the easier and better the next steps work.  If you want to speed things up, put the bowl in the refrigerator for a bit.  My sister and I actually got impatient and so we tried it both ways.  Let me tell you, it ends up taking longer if you don't wait for the cake to cool and although they still taste good they look like a MESS.
5. Add the frosting, you will need a whole container for each broken up cake.  The frosting allows the little pieces to stick together so you can form little balls.  Your hands WILL be messy after this step.
6. Roll the cake mixture into balls.  You want them to be about bite size, but you can choose your preference of size.  We placed them on wax paper over a cookie sheet which made it easier to stick them in the freezer so the balls could become a little more solid- just so they're not so mushy and easy to destroy their shape. It's CRUCIAL for the next step that they aren't too mushy.  (I've seen these things made into Cake Pops- if you wish to make them on a stick, place a stick in each ball now. You can buy the lollipop type sticks at the store.)
7.  Melt the chocolate or candy coating.  Coat the cake balls with chocolate.  You want to completely cover them though.  We tried several different methods of coating them with chocolate.  Rolling them in the chocolate seemed to make them fall apart, and use WAY more chocolate than we wanted.  We tried drizzling the chocolate over the top and then "finger-painting" the sides. (Because when it drizzles down it never seems to go far enough or down each side equally)  What I found worked best was taking a spoon and starting to drizzle the chocolate over the top with the spoon, then try to even it out using the back of the spoon and then I used the indent part to wrap around the bottom sides of the ball.  Kind of a swirling motion as if you were trying to get the very last bit of yogurt or pudding out of the plastic containers they come in.  I found this way to be the quickest and most effective way of doing it.  

Sadly we ate them all before I blogged about them.  So I will have to take pictures and add them the next time I make them, sometime in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment