Thursday, May 17, 2012

Messenger by Lois Lowry

Alright, so this book tied in The Giver and Gathering Blue together.  There were magical aspects to the other two stories, like how memories were transferred in The Giver, and the second one with the gifts, but most of it seemed to be like every day life.  This book however had more fantasy in it.  People could trade a part of themselves for other things.  I mean,  yes, in real life, people sometimes give up a part of themselves to fit in, but physical traits don't change without going to a hair salon, tattoo artist or plastic surgeon.  With that said, I still liked the book and the fact that it tied the other two together.  I didn't really see a correlation to the first book from the second, and this one tied it in.

There was one quote towards the end that I really liked: "He saw Forest and understood what Seer had meant.  It was an illusion.  It was a tangled knot of fears and deceits and dark struggles for power that had disguised itself and almost destroyed everything.  Now it was unfolding, like a flower coming into bloom, radiant with possibility."  This whole book has to do with people being generally good, but fears and deceits can take over at times and bring out the worst in people.  Struggling for more power can be evil and many other things.  But I think this theme wraps up the message of this book.

I'll put in one more note: I wish she had figured out another way to end the book... For those who read it, you may understand what I mean, if you think as I do.  I did think that the event was written well.  I wasn't sad like I have been in other books when similar things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment