Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey

K, so I actually listened to this several months ago, so I'm going to do my best to write my review of it. First off, I love Tina Fey and she is definitely a great story teller. It was very interesting and entertaining. Listening to it I didn't feel like there was one underlying thing that tied the whole thing together but it was still fun to listen to. There were parts with bad language (if you care about that) though it always seemed appropriate or just quoting someone, not just using it for the heck of it. There was also a whole chapter that was a little preachy. It was on homosexuality- if you are against it then just be prepared, there's one chapter that's bad- so skip it, or don't read it I guess. If you don't mind or are for it, then you won't have a problem. I don't remember having a problem with it, but when I was listening to it I felt like it was almost hypocritical. Like, love everyone except those who don't agree with homosexuality. That wasn't what was said, but it just seemed weird to me. If you don't agree with someone else then don't agree with them. Believe they're wrong, fight for what you feel is right, but one viewpoint doesn't define whether or not a person deserves love and the tolerance of others. And it wasn't that strong, maybe it just seemed that way because of all the conflict surrounding that issue right now and I felt she did a poor job of stating her opinion. But it was her book and she had a right to say whatever she wanted and I still enjoyed the stories in that chapter just like any other one.

No comments:

Post a Comment